Sunday, February 10

Grapefruit pound cakes: a comparative study

I love a good simple pound cake.  I've tried lots of recipes for them over the years.  I tried Grapefruit Olive Oil Pound Cake from the book, and was happy to see that I had all of the ingredients without having to leave the house.

The cake turned out really quite delicious.  The pink grapefruit we had was so pink, so was the glaze.  I took one to work, and the other one to our vet.  I don't think I even took a picture of the final product, but it was really nice, and definitely worth making again.

Then, on a different snowy Sunday I had a realization that a family friend was coming over on his birthday, but doesn't like any special birthday attention.  So, clearly, the answer was to make a non- birthday cake, just because.  I wanted something simple and for which I had all the ingredients.  I scanned the everyday cakes page and found grapefruit yogurt cake.  So, I made it and it too turned out pretty great.


Of the two, I think I liked the yogurt cake better- i remember it being a little moister and brighter.  But, I  had them a week or two apart, so it's another opportunity for a side by side at some point. I will probably also consider doing it with other citrus fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment