Monday, September 26

Camping Biscuits and Colorado Peach Sauce

One of my more indulgent things to can this year has been Colorado Peaches.


They are expensive, and at their absolute-perfection-ripeness-best for only hours- once they're in your cart, you're committed to a project! So, I made Colorado Peach Sauce. I also did a few canned peaches in syrup, and later some peach cordial, but, this was one of the things I've wanted to make for a long time now! It is luxurious and delicious, and I will struggle to keep from saving hoarding all of it, because its just_that_good.
The fuzz comes off when you boil them- who knew?
You use about 1/3 of the volume, of fruit, in sugar













I did pints, with a couple 1/4 pints for my grandma

The first time I had peach sauce, several years ago at French Meadow, on a waffle or pancakes, I was in love. 







But, since I usually only make it out camping once or twice a year, I decided it was time so splurge.  So, I made buttermilk biscuit dough, which I made with yogurt- Mark Bittman's recipe.  I cooked half of the cut-out dough (just in case of biscuit emergency), and froze the other half.  Then, I had the frozen dough until the morning and baked them in a skillet over the fire with plenty of butter. 



The dough really puffed up pretty nicely and it worked far better than I'd imagined it would.  Knowing how well that worked, I think I will someday make some more biscuit dough and freeze the cut-out individual biscuits for last-minute use! This will definitely be one of my new favorite/go-to camping recipes.  And, I may need to make some more peach sauce...

No comments:

Post a Comment