Monday, October 31

Last Midtown Market of the Season!

I was so glad I got up early and headed over the the Midtown Farmers Market- it turned out the be the last one of the season! Since Mid-Summer, it has been my favorite market, and I will really miss having such a vibrant and comprehensive little market just a few miles from home.
Ready for a chilly early market morning
I enjoy the good selection of classic and heirloom produce, the artisan goods, food trucks and the low-key vibe.  Once the friendly apple guy that I have gotten to know pointed out that it was the last of the season, I decided to stock up and make a couple of trips to/from the car to get the last of everything I want to use before fall/winter sets in completely.

On that short list- tomatoes- I got heirloom and romas.  I also picked up squash, broccoli, cauliflower, lemongrass, crab apples, haralson apples, cabbage, tender thin carrots, huge colorful carrots,  parsnips, and a flowering cabbage/kale bouquet.


Once home, as part of my weekend post-market routine, I layed everything out on the table to inspect, organize, wash and process it.

I washed and roasted the tomatoes.  I froze them on a cookie sheet for grilled sandwiches and cooking. They are awesome to have on hand- delicious, and turn grilled sandwiches, warm salads or pasta into something extraordinary. Tomatoes are one of the items I really like to process in as many ways as possible, since they will not be in-season again until next summer.

I made a pot of California medley creamed soup, which I froze in Small Ball Freezer jars for us, my grandma, and my parents' elderly neighboors.

Cauliflower, parsnips, carrots, celery root, and soup
I roasted the rest of the cauliflower and parsnips (on one roasting pan) and the big purple carrots and a celery root (on the other roasting pan). Done simply with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper.  I roasted them at about 425 until they were browned. Roasted veggies like this are another huge meal-improving time-saver that stays fresh in the fridge all week. I used some of them for Saturday night dinner, with a pumpkin gnocchi from my last Food Swap with brown butter sauce and fried sage, and the other half for brunch- warmed with a creamy yogurt-based green goddess sauce.

I used some heirloom tomatoes in this Strata recipe, along with Jarlsburg and local farm-raised ham and eggs. I prefer make-ahead brunchy things like this.  I don't eat eggs or ham, but the final product was light with beautiful browned edges and texture.

I used the crab apples- which looked a little rough, but they were $1 for a dozen- they were tart and crisp to make a Carmelized Apple Tart, which is a favorite fall go-to recipe. Its essentially a Tarte Tatin with pie crust instead of puff pastry. I added some brandy with vanilla before it went into the oven.  I have done the same/similar with pears (all types), and adding pecans or small bits of dried fruit (craisins) and its always a delicious, impressive and unfussy dessert.


For the squash- my dirty little secret is that I really don't like squash.  But, its a good seasonal option for late fall and winter, and packed with healthy stuff, and very versatile, so I hide it in things I do like. I will put them with my collection in the basement for now. Later, I will likely make a thai red curry with roasted chunks of one or two of them, and roast, puree, and freeze the rest for baking quick breads and spice cakes, and to give my dog, Rufus, in his treat toys and on top of his food. 











No comments:

Post a Comment